Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Middle Eastern flavors
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into thin crosswise slices
- 8 ounces moist dried calimyrna figs, stems trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced firm ripe plum tomato, plus
- 2 tomatoes, trimmed and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup diced cucumber, plus
- 6 slices cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed chopped mint leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup sliced natural almonds
- Add the couscous to a bowl; add in the boiling water and ½ teaspoon salt; stir once.
- Cover tightly and let stand 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed and couscous is tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest, ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper until blended.
- When the couscous is ready, turn the bowl over onto a large deep platter and break the couscous apart with a chopstick or handle of a wooden spoon; allow to cool slightly.
- Add the chicken, romaine, figs, diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, parsley, mint, and dill to the couscous.
- Top with the dressing; gently toss the ingredients together, using your fingers to separate the grains of couscous if necessary; toss until well combined.
- Clean the rim of the platter if necessary; arrange the tomato wedges and cucumber slices around the edges of the salad.
- Heat the almonds in a small skillet over med-low heat, stirring, about 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top; serve at room temperature.