Recipe by mommyoffour
I love finding recipes for couscous. The kids think its fun to eat. Couscous is a tiny pearl shaped pasta and the texture is crazy in your mouth.....we love it. This is a good typical recipe for couscous with the chicken, one of our favorites.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cutinto 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 small green pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup couscous
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken on one side in hot oil in a dutch oven for 7 minutes.
- Turn chicken, add onion and garlic.
- Cook about 8 minutes more or till chicken is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, tomato puree, undrained tomatoes, raisins, water, bay leaves, cinnamon, chili powder, ginger, and cumin.
- Stir in carrots, celery, zucchini, and green pepper, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Meanwhile, stir couscous into 1 cup boiling water.
- Remove from heat; let stand for 3 to 4 minutes or just till liquid is absorbed.
- Mound couscous on a serving platter, top with chicken and veggies.