Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Southern classic chicken recipe that needs to be prepared at least one day before you serve it for the flavors to blend well. This recipe also freezes well!
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage, mild
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 3⁄4 cup salted butter, divided
- 3 cups diced onions
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, peeled
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3⁄4 chives
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted almonds
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- In a large heavy skillet over medium high heat, brown the sausage fully breaking it up and drain off the excess fat. Reserve.
- Wash the chicken breasts and thighs and pat them dry. Place them in a mixing bowl and toss with 2t salt and 1t black pepper.
- In another large heavy skillet over medium heat melt 4 T butter. When the foaming has subsided, add the chicken and sear it in batches on both sides until it is brown on the surface but still raw inside about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the heat. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes and then cut it into approximately 1 1/2" chunks and reserve it in a bowl. Do not worry that the chicken is still raw on the inside as it will finish cooking later.
- In a large heavy stockpot over medium heat, melt the remaining 8T butter. When the foaming has subsided add the onions and saute 3 minutes until they start to get soft. Then add the celery and peppers and saute for another 3 minutes. Add the garlic, the remaining 1T of salt and 1T of black pepper, brown sugar and the curry, thyme, cumin and ginger and continue to saute these ingredients until the onions are translucent approximately 4-8 more minutes. Add the cooked sausage, then the flour, and stir the mixture thoroughly. It will become very thick.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, wine, lemon juice, vinegar and raisins and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer the mixture for 5 more minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through and then turn off the heat. Stir in the cooked rice, chives, almonds and parsley and serve it with buttered crusty french bread.