Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is ultimate comfort food. It's also a great way to get those picky vegetable eaters to eat their veggies!!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope liptons golden onion soup mix or 1 envelope savory herb with garlic soup mix
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cut up cooked chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded swiss cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, divided (about 5 ounces)
- 5 cups hot mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 In large saucepan, melt butter& cook flour, stirring constantly, 5 min or until golden. Mix soup mix with 2 cups water and add to saucepan Bring to boil Reduce heat to low& simmer 15 minutes or until thickened Stir in chicken, vegetables& 1 cup cheese Turn into lightly greased 2 quart casserole Top with hot potatoes, then remaining 1/4 cup cheese Bake 30 minutes.
I have to revise my review. I made this recipe a second time, and it turned out beautifully. I must have made some mistake the first time I made it. There were no leftovers.
I had mashed potatoes left over and found this recipe in my search to use them up. I made it with the herb and garlic soup mix and swiss cheese. Aside from the fact it was a one-dish meal, which is always a plus, it tasted rich and heavenly. Felt like I was in a little bistro in France! I had some chopped broccoli left over that I threw in also. It was an extremely delicious, satisfying comfort food meal. Definitely will make sure I always make extra mashed potatoes for this one.