Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I made this for dinner this week, to use up a chicken I had in the freezer. My internet was down, and I couldn't find a recipe, so I had to make it up as I went along. The result was fantastic! It is now my family's favourite soup, and they are already asking me to make another pot of it!
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 (440 g) cans creamed corn
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place chicken in the crockpot, cover with approximately 8 cups water. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and allow to cool slightly. Set aside the water in a seperate bowl.
- Melt butter in a small pan. Add onion and leek, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until just tender, then transfer the onion mixture to the crockpot bowl.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken and place shredded meat back into the crockpot.
- Add 3 cans of creamed corn, and 2 cups of chicken stock, to the chicken and onion, and stir to combine.
- Skim the fat from the water used to cook the chicken, and add enough water to top up the crockpot bowl.
- Cook on low for around 5 hours.
- Serve with crusty bread.