Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Hearty and filling, this recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 (4 lb) stewing chicken, cut up (stewing hen)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup noodles
- 6 ears corn (sub 3 cups frozen, if desired)
- 2 eggs, hard cooked and finely chopped
- Place chicken, salt, onion, bay leaf, parsley and water in large stockpot.
- Simmer chicken for 3 hours or until tender.
- When chicken is tender, lift from broth, remove bones and shred meat.
- Skim stock.
- Cook oodles for 15 minutes in this stock.
- Score and scrape corn from cobs and add to stock ten minutes before noodles are done.
- Add chicken and heat.
- Just before serving, add chopped eggs.