Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
fast and thick satisfying soup...
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth (or canned)
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken, or diced coarsely.
- In a large saucepot cook the butter and celery and onion for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook another 5 minutes, or until starting to get a golden brown colour.
- Add the chicken broth and whisk until flour is smooth-- Raise the heat up now a little and add all the remaining ingredients except for chicken meat.
- Lower heat now, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken just before serving, just letting the chicken warm thru.
OMGosh!!! I really enjoyed this soup!! The taste was just delish. I did feel a little guilty on the amount of fat I was ingesting this early into New Year's resolutions. Oh well, can always use skim milk or 2%, I think it would still taste good.
Made for a wonderful evening meal, perfect for a cold and wintry day. Other then going light on the nutmeg I made as posted - will use the full amount next time as we enjoyed the extra flavor it added. I served this with CountyLady's Recipe#153610, a great combination which will see repeats. Thank you andypandy.