Recipe by djunqx
My family's take on chicken corn chowder. Use good quality thick bacon for the recipe, and go organic for as many ingredients as possible. Must use yukon gold or other smaller gold potatoes as they help thicken the soup. Use of other potatoes will not work. This is not a low fat/low calorie food, just a warning.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Sooo good and hearty! Made this soup for lunch today and it really hit the spot. Definitely rich and creamy and a nice change of pace. A side salad served with this soup makes a great lunch or dinner. Don't forget some crusty bread! Made for Spring PAC, March 2013.
- 5 slices bacon
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 carrots
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 1⁄2 yellow onions
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 5 cups yukon gold potatoes
- 12 ounces heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Chop bacon and place In large soup kettle or dutch oven and cook to render the fat - on the stovetop of course. Meanwhile, chop celery, carrots, onion.
- 2. To the fat add the chopped/diced mirepoix (onions, celery, carrot) sweat for about 10 minutes on low heat, covered but stir occasionally and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Add chicken stock and chicken breasts. You can use frozen chicken if you'd like. Add bay leaves, rosemary. Bring to boil and cover, place on simmer for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 4. Remove chicken, set aside. Remove bay leaves and rosemary sprigs; do not add them back to the soup.
- 5. Peel and dice the 5 cups of yukon gold potatoes and corn. Add to soup pot.
- 6. Dice chicken into quarter inch pieces and add back to soup pot. Bring back to boil.
- 7. Cover, decrease heat to simmer, stir occasionally for 45 min or until potatoes break down. Soup should be thickening.
- 8. Add cream and butter, continue to cook on simmer 5-10 minutes,covered.
- 9. Taste prior to serving as you may want more salt and/or pepper.