Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Haven't tried this yet but plan to try with fresh corn on the cob. Sounds really good. From Cooking Light. As usual, when I'm cooking something good, I rather eat less of it than scimp on fat free ingredients. I would use whole milk in this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 green onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn (thawed and divided)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup preshredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove green tops from green onions. Chop green onion tops and set aside. Thinly slice white portion of each onion. Add sliced onion to pan; saute 2 minutes. Add flour; cook 1 minutes; stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, 1 package of corn, and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, combine remaining corn and milk in a blender, process until smooth. Add milk mixture to pan; simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle 2 cups of chowder into each of 4 soup bowls. Sprinkle evenly with green onion tops. Top each serving with cheddar cheese.
Really nice corn chowder! I only had canned corn on hand and it worked well, but think this recipe would excel with fresh corn, as KathyP53 mentioned!! This came together very quickly and was a great dinner on a cold night! Thanks!!