Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my now ex MIL. This takes a little time, so I only make it once in a blue moon, but it is soooo worth it! I always get rave reviews with this recipe and it tastes even better the next day!!
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced cooked ham (deli style)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts (appx. 1 lb.)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti (or whatever pasta you choose)
- Chop ham; mix with parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley and oregano.
- Holding knife parallel to work surface and starting from a long side, cut each chicken breast in half (cutting almost but not all the way through). Spread breast halves open and pound with meat mallet till even thickness.
- Sprinkle each breast with a heaping tablespoon full of the ham mixture. Roll each breast jelly roll style and secure with toothpicks.
- Cut core from each tomato, place tomatoes in boiling waterfor 10 seconds, cool under running water,peel and dice, set aside.
- In skillet, over medium , cook chicken rolls in EVOO until browned on all sides and loses pink color throughout (about 10 mins.) Remove to plate to keep warm.
- In drippings,in skillet, heat chicken broth and diced tomatoes to boiling stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet. Reduce heat and simmer over low for five minutes to blend flavors.
- While chicken rolls are browning, cook pasta as directed.
- Toss with remaining ham mixture. Discard toothpicks in chicken rolls and cut into 1/2 inches thick slices. Serve over pasta.