Recipe by PSU Lioness
I wanted chicken cordon bleu one night but I didn't feel like doing everything that is involved in making it. So I got some inspiration from a few recipes and came up with this one. My husband and son both had thirds! This is comfort food at it's best!
Top Review by Darcy Skye
I have to admit I chose this recipe for 2 reasons: 1) I am a fellow PSU gal myself and 2) this one had white wine which I always use when making my regular cordon bleu. Even though this does take longer to make than my normal short cut version, it is well worth it!!! It yields a lot more servings and this way we have leftovers for work the following day. The only change I made was I added a bunch of shredded swiss to the mixture and to the breadcrumbs. I did use regular swiss slices on top and LOVED the layer of cheese it created. Great job Lioness :)
- 4 medium chicken breasts, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup, concentrate
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of celery soup, concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ham, diced (I found it already diced near the hams at my grocery store)
- 6 slices swiss cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the chicken in a large skillet over Medium/High heat until it is no longer pink. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, milk, white wine, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir chicken and ham into the soup mixture.
- In the pan used to cook the chicken, heat the olive oil over Medium/High heat. Add the peppers and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir peppers into the chicken/ham/soup mixture until well combined.
- Stir the cooked penne into the chicken/ham/soup/pepper mixer and mix gently until combined.
- Spray a large glass baking dish with cooking spray and pour the mixture into the dish. Spread it out evenly.
- Layer Swiss cheese on top of the chicken/soup mixture (or sprinkle cheese evenly over the top if using shredded).
- In a small bowl, add Panko.
- Pour melted butter over Panko and mix around until the crumbs are moist.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes until cheese is melted and chicken/soup mixture is hot.
- Uncover and turn oven to broil. Broil until the crumbs begin to brown (about 5 minutes).