No canned soup in this one. I serve it over rice or noodles. Great way to use up leftover chicken and/or ham.
- 4 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 3 cups cooked cubed ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups milk (depending on desired thickness)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray/grease a 3-qt casserole dish.
- Place cubed chicken and cubed ham in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter. Add in onion, celery and mushrooms and sautee 5-6 minutes or until soft.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and flour until smooth; pour into saucepan. Add in salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley; stir well and heat through.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in shredded cheese. Stir often until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken/ham mixture and toss to coat. Pour into prepared casserole dish; press down so all meat is covered with sauce. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and just beginning to brown.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice, if desired.