Recipe by BecR
A simple version of Chicken Cordon Bleu! Chunks of chicken and ham layered in a casserole with shredded cheese and a creamy white sauce, topped with buttery crunch and baked to golden perfection! What's not to like! Great comfort food, and also a good use of leftover chicken and ham. Found on "Mennonite Girls Can Cook".
Top Review by Mary B.
This is a delicious version of cordon bleu. It is easy to prepare and is very tasty. I've served it at a luncheon and everyone asked for the recipe. A salad and dinner rolls completed my meal.
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and cut in chunks
- 2 cups ham, cooked and cut in chunks
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups coarse breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble Casserole:.
- Layer chicken, cheese and ham in a greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Saute onions in butter.
- Stir in flour and blend in milk, add dry mustard and seasonings.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Pour over ham and sprinkle with topping.
- To Make Crunchy Topping:.
- Mix together the coarse breadcrumbs, shredded cheddar cheese, and the melted butter until combined before sprinkling over the ham.
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.
- I served it with brown rice and a salad.