Top Review by RNTIS
Couldn't get the chicken to flatten as directed. I think it would be easier to just cut the side of the breast and stuff with ingredients. Seal with a toothpick, and coat as directed. Good taste thou.
- 4 (793.78 g) double boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slice deli ham, thin
- 16 slice gruyere or 16 slice swiss cheese, thin
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 59.14 ml flour
- 473.18 ml panko breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 9.85 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
- Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Take care not to pound too hard because the meat may tear or create holes.
- Lay 2 slices of cheese on each breast, followed by 2 slices of ham, and 2 more of cheese; leaving a 1/2-inch margin on all sides to help seal the roll.
- Tuck in the sides of the breast and roll up tight like a jellyroll.
- Squeeze the log gently to seal.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper; spread out on waxed paper or in a flat dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with thyme, kosher salt, pepper, and oil.
- The oil will help the crust brown.
- Beat together the eggs and water, the mixture should be fluid.
- Lightly dust the chicken with flour, then dip in the egg mixture.
- Gently coat in the bread crumbs.
- Carefully transfer the roulades to a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Cut into pinwheels before serving.