Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is my recipe for chicken cordon bleu. It does take quite a bit of time to prepare but well worth it.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 lb deli ham, sliced thin
- 6 pieces swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- Remove rib meat from breast. They won't be needed for this receipe.
- Hammer the chicken thin - between 1/2 and 1/4 inch thick.
- Make a stack of alternating layers of swiss cheese and ham. Cut the stack into 6 strips.
- Place on ham/cheese stack in the center of each chicken breast.
- Fold the chicken over the filling and secure with string.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a bowl (or gallon size plastic bag) mix breadcrumbs, paprika and garlic powder together.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- While pan is heating up, put the chicken in the egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
- Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Remove to a cassarole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Combine ceam, half/half and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Combine buillion and chicken broth in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Added cream mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Remove string from chicken and top with sauce.
Very very good! I used two very large chicken breasts pounded very thin, then cut into three pieces each. Then I rolled each bundle in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for a couple few hours eliminating the need to tie them. I Skipped the egg and the frypan and instead turned the bundles over halfway through baking to brown two sides. Loved the stacked ham & cheese idea and the sauce was great. Thanks!