Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious classic dish. Recipe is from Family Circle.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 4 slices black forest ham, thinly sliced
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 teaspoons Dijon mustard or 8 teaspoons honey mustard
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; place one breast half between two sheets of waxed paper on a cutting board.
- Pound to an even thickness of 1/4 inch with the flat side of a meat mallet, a rolling pin or cast iron pan.
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Spread out one piece of ham; pile 1/4 cup of the cheese in the middle, then tightly fold up burrito-style to enclose.
- Spread one pounded chicken breast with 2 t of the mustard.
- Place ham bundle on chicken; slide to one narrow end.
- Roll chicken breast, enclosing bundle.
- Secure with a toothpick or two; tuck in any loose ends.
- Repeat for a total of 4 stuffed chicken breasts.
- Spread flour onto a dinner plate, and pour eggs into a pie dish and bread crumbs onto a second dinner plate.
- Coat one stuffed breast with flour, dip in egg completely, then coat with bread crumbs, adhering with fingers if needed.
- Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and brown, covered, 3 minutes.
- Flip chicken over, and continue to cook, covered, an additional 2-3 minutes (keep your eye on the chicken while cooking and reduce heat if browning too quickly).
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until temperature registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.