Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe out of a Good Housekeeping cookbook and I have made this more times than I can think of. My youngest son loves this.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, sliced thin
- 8 ounces cooked ham, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, Chicken Flavored
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Spread Chicken breasts flat.
- Place Ham & Cheese slices on breasts.
- Fold breasts, ham & cheese over.
- Fasten edges with toothpicks.
- Mix Flour and Paprika.
- Coat chicken pieces with flour mixture.
- Melt Margerine in 12" skillet.
- Cook chicken til browned on all sides.
- Add Wine and bouillon.
- Reduce heat to low and cover skillet.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Remove from skillet, remove toothpicks.
- Blend Cornstarch and Cream until smooth.
- Gradually stir into skillet.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve over chicken.
I have been making this exact recipe for probably 20 + years and it is worthy of the 5 star rating! The sauce is very rich and I usually serve it with rice and broccoli! Follow recipe exactly and you won't be disappointed!
I have always wanted to make Chicken Cordon Bleu but was intimidated by all the steps it would take to prepare it. This recipe was so much easier to make and the flavor was great. Did find some chicken cutlets so I didnt have to pound out boneless chicken breasts. Asked for my ham to be shaved thin and used Sargento's swiss cheese slices for the filling. The sauce for us needed just a little boost so I added lemon pepper, celery salt, a pepper. We really liked the chicken and my DH was happy with the sauce. Will be making this again! Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef - Spring 2014
Great Recipe. Sauce was great on potatoes too!