Recipe by ajsatter
This is a delicious creamy Mexican soup. It turns out great if you want to substitute light ingredients. It came from the first Mexican restaurant in my town. My dad and husband LOVE this stuff! Serve this with Mexican rice, tortillas, and a fresh mexican salad. YUM!
Top Review by The Bob
Excellent one dish meal. I streamlined by using sliced mushrooms and instead of baking, I put the cheese on top, in the pot, covered, and heated until the cheese melted. Used extra sharp white cheddar, which kept the soup a beautiful creamy white.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 9 whole canned chilies (Ortega)
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken, onion, mushrooms, and 6 chiles into strips.
- Set aside.
- Put milk, soup, and remaining 3 chiles in blender and blend till smooth.
- Whisk in sour cream.
- (this keeps soup from being too foamy) Melt butter in heavy pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add oil and chicken.
- Saute until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onions to same pot and saute for 3 minutes, then add mushrooms and cook till tender.
- Add chiles and chicken and heat through.
- Then add soup mixture.
- Cover and heat on medium for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes or until hot.