1/4 Photos of Chicken & Coconut in Banana Leaves
1 hr 45 mins
An American version of a tradional Papua New Guinean technique of wrapping parcels of food in banana leaves. Serve with beer or a crisp, white wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Whisk together soy sauce, barbecue sauce, ginger and coconut milk.
- 3Place chicken drumsticks, thighs, plantain, and sweet potato in a bowl and pour over the marinade. Marinate 30 minutes.
- 4Gently warm the whole banana leaf over a fire or gas burner until the leaf is pliable but not burnt, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Cut the leaf into four large squares, measuring at least 30 x 30 cm. Carefully cut four long, thin strips from the rib of the leaf, these will be used as 'string' to tie the packets later.
- 6Place a piece of chicken onto each banana leaf square and evenly divide the vegetables on top. Pour in any remaining marinade and fold the leaves around the chicken like you are wrapping a present.
- 7Securely tie with the rib strips and place the packets onto a baking sheet.
- 8Bake in preheated oven until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. Check the packets occasionally to make sure they do not burn.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Coconut in Banana Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 992.9
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 138.0 mg
- Sodium 404.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 87.4 g
- Protein 35.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: