Recipe by Adopted Parisian
So savory and hearty! A great feast to get your family to sit around the table! A thick stew-like surprise rests, waiting to be devoured, beneath a sumptuous cheddar and garlic biscuit topping. Perfect for cool fall and winter evenings!
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 new potatoes, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Arrange chicken chunks in deep Corningware-type casserole dish (best size is appx. 8" diameter by 4" deep).
- Layer chopped potatoes and carrots over chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, adding onions.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in peas, and the 1/3 cup flour.
- Add chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Pour saucepan contents over chicken mixture while making cobbler.
- For cobbler topping, in a medium mixing bowl stir together the 2 cups flour, shredded carrot, cheese, garlic, and baking powder. Stir in milk and the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter until combined.
- Spoon evenly over stew-like mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of topping comes out clean.
- Watch carefully as stew has a tendency to bubble over.