Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Oh my gosh....this is on the menu for next week end!!
- 8 slices bacon, thick strips
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken, 90 percent lean
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1 large ripe beefsteak tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 slices
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely shredded romaine lettuce
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Place the strips of bacon on the grill (lay them across the grate so they don't fall through) and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Increase the heat of the grill to high.
- Form the meat into 4 (8-ounce) burgers, brush with the oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the burgers until golden brown on both sides and cooked completely through, about 5 minutes per side. Top the burgers with the blue cheese, close the cover, and continue cooking until the cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute longer.
- Place the burgers on the bottom half of each bun and top with a slice of tomato, 2 slices of avocado, 2 slices of bacon and some of the dressed romaine.
- Cover each burger with the bun tops and serve.
- For the vinaigrette:
- Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using to allow the flavors to meld.
- Just before assembling the burgers, place the romaine in a medium bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.