Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great way to use up your leftover rotisserie chicken!! You can also freeze this recipe. Just cover and bake for about 45 extra minutes.
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
- 3 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 12 medium tortillas
- Sauté chicken, onion, garlic, and cilantro together until the onions are soft. Set aside.
- Combine the chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Set aside.
- For the filling, combine chicken mixture, 2 cups of cheese, green onions, and chopped cilantro and 1 cup enchilada/ broth mixture. Mix well.
- To assemble the enchiladas, warm tortillas and spoon 2-3 Tbsp of the chicken mixture into the tortilla. Roll tortilla and place seam side down into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spoon remaining enchilada/ broth sauce over the enchiladas and cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.
There is no mention of when to add the green chilies, so only a 4 star review here. I almost forgot to add them! The taste was very good, but mild..which is great for many families. Next time I'll punch it up a bit with maybe 1/2 teaspoon cumin in the chicken filling. I also covered mine with foil while baking to keep the enchiladas soft and moist. No leftovers here!
Made this the other day when we had a couple for dinner & it was a big success ~ Everyone loved these enchiladas! I pretty much followed the recipe, BUT intentionally made up just 8 enchiladas (mine were very plump)! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]