Recipe by TasteTester
A hearty soup that is perfect for lunch or dinner. I often make this soup for supper, accompanied by a salad and crusty bread. It's also a good recipe to use up extra chicken and the cilantro I always have left over from other recipes.
Top Review by my3girlz
I had leftover chicken and cilantro from the Mexican Style Lime & Cilantro Whole Chicken (Slow Cooker) Recipe #271347 , so I figured it would be perfect to make this soup! It was very good, the only thing is I thought it had a bit too much of a flour taste so I think next time I will cut back to 1/4 cup instead of a 1/3 I think it will still thicken up just fine. Otherwise it was good and smelled awesome while cooking! Thanks!!
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into medium chunks
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces undiluted evaporated milk
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, combine chicken, broth, cilantro, green onions, celery, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Pour mixture into a blender and add flour. Cover and blend, starting at low speed, until smooth.
- Pour mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Reheat just to serving temperature. DO NOT BOIL. Season with pepper to taste. Garnish as desired.