Recipe by JanetB-KY
This is a substantial dinner pie. Great homey food. This is being posted for the British/Irish section of the tour.
Top Review by Cinnamon1025
This is one of the best things I ever ate! It was so yummy and flavorful. I dont like mushrooms, so I chopped up some potato's and boiled them a little before adding them to make sure they would be soft enough. It came out perfect and I know I will be making this a lot!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cider
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 medium pie crusts
- 1 medium egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute onions and chicken in oil until the chicken is well browned on all sides; add carrots, coriander and sage.
- Gradually stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add cider, stirring constantly with a whisk to help prevent lumping.
- Add mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and let simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add mushrooms and half and half; cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly. Place one pie crust into a pie pan and add all meat mixture, then cover with other pie crust.
- Make holes in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top with the beaten egg and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.