1/1 Photo of Chicken Chowder With Chipotle
1 hr 15 mins
A spicy, cream, very satisfying soup that is very easy to make (despite the long list of ingredients!). It is from Cooking Light. Just as a precaution--remember to use only 1 chile from the can (however if you like it spicier, feel free to use another one!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chipotle chile, from a 7 oz. can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (reserve remaining chiles for another use)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 12 ounces)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white hominy or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 lime wedges
- 1Remove 1 chili and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; reserving remaining chiles and sauce for another use.
- 2Finely chop chili and set chile and sauce aside separately.
- 3Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 4Add chopped chile, onion, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- 5Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- 6Add chicken; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 7Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and cool slightly.
- 8Shred chicken with 2 forks then cover to keep warm.
- 9Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 10Place 1/3 of broth mixture in a blender and process until smooth.
- 11Pour pureed broth mixture into a large bowl.
- 12Repeat procedure in 2 more batches with remaining broth mixture.
- 13Return pureed broth mixture to pan.
- 14Stir in potatoes and hominy; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 15Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 16Stir in chicken and cream; simmer 5 minutes.
- 17Remove from heat and stir in reserved adobo sauce, tomato, cilantro and salt.
- 18Serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chowder With Chipotle
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 79.4 mg
- Sodium 454.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 30.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth