Prep 1 hr
Cook 9 hrs
Feeds an army!
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups chicken, diced and cooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans clams, with juice or 2 bottles clam juice
- 1 can corn, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- Saute bacon in skillet until bacon is crisp, you may have to do this in stages.
- Reserve a portion of the bacon drippings Saute onions dn celery in bacon drippings until limp, add salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients except flour, milk, cheese, and cream Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours, mixture will need a large crockpot Whisk flour into milk.
- Stir into soup along with cheese and whipping cream.
- I had to transfer have of the chowder to the stove to have enough room.
- If finishing on stove, stir until chowder thickens.
- If finishing in crockpot, cover and cook one hour on high.
Wow! I followed the recipe as close as I could, but I have a small crockpot, so I had to transfer half to a pot on the stove as well. I also couldn't fit an onion in, but I had HUGE onions,so, it didn't make too much difference. I also probably added a little more broth and cream, due to portion sizes I bought not adding up exactly to the recipe. It made it a little more watery than I liked, but I'm sure next time I make it (soon!) I'll be able to ccounteract that. It tastes great and it made so much. I like crumbling saltines into all my soups so that helped any wateriness. I can't get enough of this. Can't wait to try it again, now that I know what to expect.
I scaled this recipe down to half so I would't have tons of leftovers. I also cut the bacon down to less than 1/4 lb with no probolems, it still gave plenty of flavor. Due to negligence on my half, the onions became carmelized in the bacon grease (oops) but it added a really nice flavor and color to the soup. I also added 6 oz of heavy cream instead of the recommended amount, just because I like it thicker and I had cut down on the bacon. But this was a really great recipe and would definitely be worth your time! And it WAS NOT difficult to prepare, took only a few minutes to get it going, with chopping and what not, but this was ready in lessa than 1/2 hour ( I prepared on the stoveop and not in the crockpot). I cut the veggies up really small (think smaller than minced ) so dd wouldn't notice them and it worked.I also cooked the potatoes in the broth before adding the miklk (I hate that skin that gets on cooked milk. And I didn't use clams, because she saw me take them out of the cupoboard and immediately began protesting. But I think it would have been even better with clams. I give this 6 stars! Thanks for sharing!!