Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
What's in a name...=) This recipe is an old favorite from my Mom. She called it Chicken Chop Suey and served it with Chow Mein Noodles. I don't know the difference...hence the name. Either way, I like it!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup halved onion, sliced
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 cup of chopped napa cabbage
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped fine
- 1 whole skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups water or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can bean sprouts
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Pour oil into a preheat pan or wok.
- Add onions and celery.
- Cook until tender.
- Stir in chopped cabbage and scallions and cook for one minute.
- Remove vegetables from heat and set them aside.
- In a large sauce pan under medium heat, simmer chicken in water/broth until thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken from broth and set on a plate to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bone and chop into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add cooked vegetables and chicken to broth.
- Add (drained) bean sprouts and water chestnuts to broth.
- Sauce: Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add to chicken/vegetables.
- Cook, stirring constantly over med/low heat until slightly thickened.
- Serve over rice.
- (Chop Suey?).
- Or serve plain with crunchy Chinese noodles on the side.
- (Chow Mein?).
Delicious! I also added mushrooms, fresh sprouts instead of canned, some finely chopped fresh brocolli, garlic powder, ground ginger. And used Wondra in place of flour/cornstarch. Served over white rice, with the crispy noodles on top. Yum! Hubby loved it, too. Thanks for sharing.
I made this last night and it was outstanding; I changed a few things mostly just added more veggies and one small can of mushrooms and served it over white rice. no matter what you add to this recipe you can't go wrong.
After trying several recipes, my boyfriend said I finally got it right with this one. I used 4 cup homemade chicken broth and added 1 can drained baby corn, 1 can drained straw mushrooms, 1 4 oz jar of pimiento, and 1 can drained bamboo shoots. Definitely use fresh bean sprouts! Served with rice cooked in chicken broth. Had to freeze the leftovers for another meal, or the boyfriend would have gobbled it all up!