1/2 Photos of Chicken Chow Mein
There are lots of chow mein recipes out there, but this is how I like to make it. It reminds me of fast food chow mein, but it's not nearly as greasy. I call for chicken here, but use whatever protein you like- or none at all!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into very thin slices
- 12 ounces chow mein noodles (the soft kind found fresh, not the hard crunchy ones)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small napa cabbage, sliced into 1 inch strips
- 2 baby bok choy, sliced into 1 inch strips
- 5 ounces water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1Marinate the chicken: Combine the 2 teaspoons soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Add the sliced chicken, and toss to completely coat. Set aside while you cook the noodles.
- 2Cook the chow mein noodles according to package directions, drain well, and set aside.
- 3Heat half of the oil (1 tablespoon) in a very large skillet or wok. When is is very hot, but not smoking, add the chicken mixture, and stir fry until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate, set aside and keep warm.
- 4Add the rest of the oil to the skillet, then add the cabbage, bok choy, water chestnuts and garlic; stir fry for a couple of minutes until the vegetables begin to wilt. Add the noodles, and continue to cook until the noodles are hot, and well combined with the vegetables.
- 5Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce, toss to combine. Add the chicken, toss to combine.
- 6Transfer the chow mein to a serving platter, and top with the chopped green onions. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chow Mein
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 28.6 mg
- Sodium 965.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chow mein noodles