Recipe by ShortyBond
Another recipe courtesy Rachael Ray. I haven't tried this one either, but it looks really yummy!!
Top Review by Maito
Very good soup, the combination of chorizo, tomatoes and potatoes is really yummy. I left the chicken out, since it would have been too much meat for us. I used 3/4 of the chorizo and skipped the hot sauce, since the chorizo we get is pretty spicy. I also used just a half tablespoon of oil and a lot less of the chips/cheese, just sprinkled on top. This did serve 4 people for a meal. Very enjoyable!
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 small red potatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) canchopped fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) bagred corn tortilla chips or 1 (15 ounce) bag blue corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (or any flavor you prefer)
- chopped scallion
- chopped cilantro
- fresh thyme leave
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat medium soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Chop tenders into bite-size pieces. Wash up, then season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dice chorizo.
- Add EVOO and chicken to the pot. Lightly brown chicken 2 minutes, then add chorizo and garlic.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes, then add peppers, onions and potatoes.
- Cook 5 minutes, then stir in tomatoes, kidney beans and hot sauce.
- Add chicken stock and bring soup to a bubble.
- Preheat broiler.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender (10-12 minutes).
- Ladle soup into shallow bowls and top each bowl with a generous handful of crushed tortillas and cheese. Melt cheese under hot broiler.
- Garnish with scallions and herbs.