Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted by the Los Angeles Times from Bluewater Grill in Redondo Beach, Calif.
- 1 lb romaine lettuce hearts, chopped (about 2)
- 4 grilled boneless skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 2 ounces toasted pumpkin seeds, divided (pepitas)
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes or 8 ounces other small tomatoes
- 1 cup julienned red onion
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 15 sprigs)
- 1⁄3 bunch green onion, green tops only, chopped (4 to 6)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 avocado, diced
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, chicken, one-half each of the feta and pumpkin seeds, the tomatoes, onions and avocado. Add 1/3 cup of the dressing and toss gently to combine. Taste salad, adding additional dressing as desired and seasoning to taste. Divide salad among 4 plates, topping each with remaining cheese and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.
- Avocado Dressing: In the bowl of a blender, combine the lime juice, vinegar, garlic, cilantro, green onion, salt, cayenne pepper and avocado and blend.
- With the blender running, slowly add the oils to form a thick, creamy dressing. Taste and adjust the flavorings and seasoning if desired. This makes a scant 2 cups avocado dressing, which will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to three days.