Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This soup is quick to make, flavorful, and filling! Serve with warm tortillas and spanish rice. Garnish with chopped fresh avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, and crushed tortilla chips!
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 dried chipotle chiles
- 1 large white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 -6 chopped jalapeno (your call!)
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 corn tortillas
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- Cut the chipotles in half and cover with hot water, steep for 30 minutes.
- After they soften, add the water and chipotles to a blender, add the garlic and blend till smooth.
- Scrub the chicken under running water.
- Cover the chicken with water in large pot.
- Bring to boil, adding half the chopped onion and salt.
- Boil chicken until almost falling apart (about 50 minutes).
- Remove chicken to cutting board, remove skin, and pull all the meat off with fork/knife.
- Return meat to pot.
- Add remaining chopped onion and spices and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with corn tortillas, white cheese and avacado.