Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this recipe on USA Weekend. It sounds really good so I am putting it here for safe keeping.
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (,or less,)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded monterey jack cheese
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 lb cooked and shredded chicken meat (about 3 cups)
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onion (about 1 bunch)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- Pour the cream of chicken soup into a blender along with the green chilies, jalapeno pepper and lime juice. Puree until smooth then pour into a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat.
- Next, in a large bowl, mash together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and taco seasoning until well blended. Stir into the chicken. Evenly divide mixture among the 8 tortillas, placing filling in center of tortilla. Fold top down, fold bottom up, then roll up sides to make a square packet.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Fry 4 chimichangas at a time, seam side down, until golden brown, about 90 seconds; flip with tongs and fry other side an additional 90 seconds. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- To serve, place a chimichanga on a plate, and ladle the warm pepper sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and green onions. Finish with a dollop of sour cream.
Wow, these are delish! I made following the directions and everyone gave them thumbs up so you know they were a hit here!