Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I make a large batch of the chicken base and freeze in small quantities for quick thaw and fast meal prep. These are super easy, delicious and somewhat weight watcher friendly. Enchiladas, Tacos and Mexican pizzas can also be made from this Chicken base recipe - (see those postings for recipes). Use your imagination for other variations.
Chicken Base Ingredients
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded (I use store roasted chicken or 2 half breasts simmered in water until cooked. (Tip, shred chicken wh)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 12 ounces chunky salsa
- chicken base
- 8 ounces reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 low-fat flour tortillas (soft taco-size)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- jalapeno (optional)
- olive (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- Mix Chicken base ingredients in mixing bowl - set aside to use as filling.
- Warm tortilla's between paper towels for 20 - 30 seconds in microwave to make pliable for folding.
- Place 2oz of chicken mixture (squeeze juice out of chix mixture before filling tortillas) and 1oz cheese in center of tortilla - fold burrito style.
- Place on greased baking sheet and rub tops of each with olive oil.
- Bake 400° 5 -10 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy on both sides (I use my toaster oven).
- Serve immediately OR refrigerate for a "grab & go" meal (my teenagers like these cold, on the go).
- For a beautiful presentation; serve topped with a dollop of sour cream chopped cilantro sprinkled over top and avocado slices on the side.
My family absolutely LOVED this recipe! I made a full recipe of the chicken base to split between these chimis & your Soft Chicken Tacos (using a different salsa in each half) & we really loved the crispy, baked texture of these chimis. Not to mention how quick & easy they are! With a half recipe I was able to make 8 chimis. :) Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes, Sharon! We'll be making all three again & again! I'm so happy to have adopted you this round! Made & enjoyed for Pick A Chef Spring 2009. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=296583
Easy and great tasting. They are crispy and delicious. Even Jack loved them and asked me to make them again in the future! Yummy and satisfying! We are so excited we have left overs, too. Thanks for the great recipe Chef Sharon R!