1/1 Photo of Chicken Chimichangas
These chimis bake up or fry delightfully crisp with a hearty, flavorful filling that can be as spicy or as mild as you like. The great thing about a meal like this is you can adapt it in so many ways – make it vegetarian, use a different type of meat or variety of beans, add your favorite herbs, extra cheese. From Cooks Country magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 whole chicken breasts, trimmed skinless and boneless
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 flour tortillas
- 11. In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup, whisk broth and pepper. Mix 1/2 cup of this mixture, rice, and 1/4t salt in a bowl. Cover and microwave until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 22. In a Dutch oven, heat 1T oil over medium high heat until just smoking. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes, then add garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add remaining chipotle broth, partially cooked rice, and bring to a boil.
- 33. Reduce heat to medium low, add chicken, cover, and cook until chicken's internal temperature is 160 degrees and rice is tender, about 15 minutes, flipping chicken about halfway through. Remove chicken to a cutting board to rest for 5-10 minutes, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces and return to rice mixture, adding cheddar and cilantro, all in a large bowl. Wash the pot.
- 44. Whisk flour and water in a small bowl. Microwave tortillas, covered, on a plate, about 1 minute. Divide chicken mixture into 4. Working with one tortilla at a time, place 1/4 of the chicken mixture in the center. Brush edges of tortilla with flour paste, then wrap top and bottom of tortilla tightly over filling (fold side toward center, then fold in the sides--you might want to repaste the last pieces).
- 55. Heat remaining 3c oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat until 325 degrees. Place 2 chimis, seam down, in oil, and fry until deep golden brown, about 2 minutes a side. Monitor your oil temperature, keeping it between 300 and 325 degrees. Drain on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chimis.
- 66. If you prefer a healthier version, you can bake them. 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2053.3
- Calories from Fat 1736
- Total Fat 192.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 495.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 43.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
salt and pepper