Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For an even more authentic taste saute in oil beore baking, you can also make these using cooked turkey. Adjust all seasonings to taste. The cayenne pepper is optional, add for more heat. These are easy to make!
Top Review by Kar's Kitchen
Delicious! My son was totally surprised at how good these were from a home recipe! I did fry in oil first, which gave the crust a really nice crunch, but I'll try the oven only approach too. Will be making these often. Thanks!
- 1 3⁄4 cups picante sauce (or use salsa)
- 6 -8 cups cooked chicken, chopped (or use cooked turkey)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 20 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (or use cheddar cheese)
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- salsa or picante sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a greased baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine the picante sauce with chopped chicken, onion, cumin, oregano and cayenne (if using) cook uncovered stirring often for about 30 minutes or until some of liquid has evaporated; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the mixture below center of each tortilla, then top with about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Fold in two sides of the tortillas to enclose the filling, then fold over top and bottom edges of the tortillas (making a rectangle).
- Secure with wooden picks.
- Place folded-side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the tops with vegetable oil (sprinkle lightly with salt if desired).
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes; using a spatula turn the chimichangas and bake for about 5 minutes more.
- Serve with picante sauce or salsa and sour cream.