Recipe by Shels
I got this recipe from the cookbook Fat Free Living Cookbook from Around the World by Jyl Steinback. It has a lot of small steps, but is well worth it! I did make one substitution, using chipotle peppers instead of diced green chilis, but it was still excellent!! I hope you enjoy as much as we did! 44 Calories and less than 1g fat per chimi.
Top Review by Legna
"Oh my gosh, this stuff is awesome". This is what 2 of my teenage nephews said after taking just one bite! It was a big hit. I started making one batch, then quickly realized it would not be enough, so I mixed up a second batch, there was plenty for both nephews, my DH, and myself. There are a lot of steps, but it was pretty quick to make. I will be making this again for sure! Thanks for posting a great recipe!
- 1 lb fat-free ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ounces chopped green chili peppers
- 1 cup finely shredded fat free mexican cheese blend
- 6 (8 inch) burrito size fat-free flour tortillas
- fat free salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly spray a large nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, onion powder, gralic powder, cumin and chili powder to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet and drain well.
- Return chicken to skillet; add chili peppers and cheese to chicken, mix well.
- Spoon 1/4-1/3 cup of chicken mixture down the centre of each tortilla.
- Fold the sides of tortilla and roll up from the bottom to seal.
- Secure with wooden toothpick and lightly spray with nonfat cooking spray.
- Lightly spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chimichangas to skillet and cook until both sides are browned and crisp.
- Keep warm in oven, or cool and package for freezing.
- Serve with salad, if desired.