Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from the cookbook Fat Free Living Cookbook from Around the World by Jyl Steinback. It has a lot of small steps, but is well worth it! I did make one substitution, using chipotle peppers instead of diced green chilis, but it was still excellent!! I hope you enjoy as much as we did! 44 Calories and less than 1g fat per chimi.
- 1 lb fat-free ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ounces chopped green chili peppers
- 1 cup finely shredded fat free mexican cheese blend
- 6 (8 inch) burrito size fat-free flour tortillas
- fat free salsa (optional)
- Lightly spray a large nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, onion powder, gralic powder, cumin and chili powder to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet and drain well.
- Return chicken to skillet; add chili peppers and cheese to chicken, mix well.
- Spoon 1/4-1/3 cup of chicken mixture down the centre of each tortilla.
- Fold the sides of tortilla and roll up from the bottom to seal.
- Secure with wooden toothpick and lightly spray with nonfat cooking spray.
- Lightly spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chimichangas to skillet and cook until both sides are browned and crisp.
- Keep warm in oven, or cool and package for freezing.
- Serve with salad, if desired.
"Oh my gosh, this stuff is awesome". This is what 2 of my teenage nephews said after taking just one bite! It was a big hit. I started making one batch, then quickly realized it would not be enough, so I mixed up a second batch, there was plenty for both nephews, my DH, and myself. There are a lot of steps, but it was pretty quick to make. I will be making this again for sure! Thanks for posting a great recipe!