1/7 Photos of Chicken Chimi Chimies ( Chimichangas )
This is an easy chimichanga, great for a busy day. I like to cook the chicken ahead, so that dinner can be ready in under 30 minutes. One chimi is good for smaller eaters, two for those hearty appetites. This is a mild dish, unless you add lots of cumin, which makes it great for kids. If you like spicy add a few dashes of hot sauce or a diced jalapeño. After reading a couple of reviews I realized that I too was increasing the sour cream without paying exact attention to the recipe this adapted from. I don't always start with the same amount of chicken so, you want the mix to be slightly wet and gooshy without being drippy, it should cling together. I sometimes add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the mix, but you can leave it out to avoid the extra fat. Serve with your favorite side dishes, I like Spanish rice and fruit with this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Boil chicken in water until done, about 15 minutes. For extra flavor add some onion & garlic (fresh or dry), and salt and pepper to the water. Shred chicken.
- 3Sauté garlic and onion in the oil about 5 minutes, don't brown.
- 4Stir together chicken and all the ingredients except for butter, tortillas and cheese.
- 5Brush tortillas one at a time with melted butter, to the dry side and a spoon a generous scoop of chicken mixture in a line about 1 inch from one edge of the tortilla, tuck in sides as you go and roll up tortilla, and place seam side down on a cookie sheet, repeat until all you mixture is used.
- 6NOTE: You can wait an brush with butter after it's rolled, this is done best if tortillas are room temperature.
- 7Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9If you prefer your cheese melted, a few minutes before removing from the oven, sprinkle each chimi with shredded cheese.
- 10Serve chimis with shredded cheese, also good with sour cream, chopped tomatoes and black olives.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chimi Chimies ( Chimichangas )
Serving Size: 1 (2644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.0
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 998.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 33.2 g