Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good, easy, hearty, and healthy stew. The basic recipe was on the back of a box of barley, but I tweaked it ALOT to suit my family's taste.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced but not drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth or 4 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- In dutch oven, combine first 8 ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and chicken, bring to a boil over high heat again, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, another 15 minutes.
- If chili becomes too thick as it stands, add more chicken broth or water until chili reaches the desired consistency. Top with grated cheese or sour cream if desired.
mmmm mmmmm good. What a great stew/chili. You just know I'm going to be making this often. It's absolutely scrumptious. Made a couple changes:instead of 2cans diced tomato, I used 28oz crushed tomatoes. I used only 1 chicken breast and shredded it instead of cutting into pieces. Thanks so much for the posting. xo Kathy