Recipe by cookin mimi
This is a good, easy, hearty, and healthy stew. The basic recipe was on the back of a box of barley, but I tweaked it ALOT to suit my family's taste.
Top Review by Chicopee
mmmm mmmmm good. What a great stew/chili. You just know I'm going to be making this often. It's absolutely scrumptious. Made a couple changes:instead of 2cans diced tomato, I used 28oz crushed tomatoes. I used only 1 chicken breast and shredded it instead of cutting into pieces. Thanks so much for the posting. xo Kathy
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced but not drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth or 4 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In dutch oven, combine first 8 ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and chicken, bring to a boil over high heat again, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, another 15 minutes.
- If chili becomes too thick as it stands, add more chicken broth or water until chili reaches the desired consistency. Top with grated cheese or sour cream if desired.