1/1 Photo of Chicken Chili Verde
An adaptation of Rachael Ray's Chicken Chili Verde from the Rachael Ray Magazine. I can't find the original on her website any longer. (Or in my recipe collection!) This is a delicious and different version of your standard chili, using salsa verde as its base flavor instead of tomato sauce. We like to eat it with tortilla chips like a hearty dip.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (cannellini)
- 1 (8 ounce) can salsa verde
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- 3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, EVOO
- 2 cups tortilla chips (a couple handfuls, reserve the rest of the bag)
- 1 dash sour cream (optional)
- 1 dash shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1Chop all vegetables.
- 2Add chicken and stock to a large dutch oven/soup pot. Bring to a boil and poach until chicken is cooked through, about ten minutes. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Divide stock in half.
- 3Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, add EVOO, onion, jalapeno and bell pepper, cook until softened, five to eight minutes.
- 4Once peppers and onions are cooked, add garlic, cumin, adobo, salsa verde and white beans and two cups of the reserved stock. Bring to a simmer.
- 5In a food processor, pulse tortilla chips dry until well ground. Use a high speed setting, you want the chips as finely ground as possible. Once ground, add the remaining 2 cups of stock. Combine thoroughly.
- 6Transfer vegetable and stock mixture from sauce pan to the soup pot.
- 7Shred cooled chicken by hand directly into soup pot. Aim for 1/2 inches to 1 inches sized pieces. Slowly add tortilla chip/stock mixture while stirring. Add Salt, pepper and cilantro.
- 8Allow chili to cook down for at least 30 minutes. The longer it cooks, the better the flavors meld and the better it tastes, so this is a great meal to prepare early and leave on the stove. Tastes even better the next day too, if you manage to hold on to your leftovers!
- 9Serve in bowls topped with your favorite chili toppings with extra tortilla chips alongside for dipping.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chili Verde
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 1104.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 51.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: