1/1 Photo of Chicken Chili Verde
An adaptation of Rachael Ray's Chicken Chili Verde from the Rachael Ray Magazine. I can't find the original on her website any longer. (Or in my recipe collection!) This is a delicious and different version of your standard chili, using salsa verde as its base flavor instead of tomato sauce. We like to eat it with tortilla chips like a hearty dip.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (cannellini)
- 1 (8 ounce) can salsa verde
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- 3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, EVOO
- 2 cups tortilla chips (a couple handfuls, reserve the rest of the bag)
- 1 dash sour cream (optional)
- 1 dash shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1Chop all vegetables.
- 2Add chicken and stock to a large dutch oven/soup pot. Bring to a boil and poach until chicken is cooked through, about ten minutes. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Divide stock in half.
- 3Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, add EVOO, onion, jalapeno and bell pepper, cook until softened, five to eight minutes.
- 4Once peppers and onions are cooked, add garlic, cumin, adobo, salsa verde and white beans and two cups of the reserved stock. Bring to a simmer.
- 5In a food processor, pulse tortilla chips dry until well ground. Use a high speed setting, you want the chips as finely ground as possible. Once ground, add the remaining 2 cups of stock. Combine thoroughly.
- 6Transfer vegetable and stock mixture from sauce pan to the soup pot.
- 7Shred cooled chicken by hand directly into soup pot. Aim for 1/2 inches to 1 inches sized pieces. Slowly add tortilla chip/stock mixture while stirring. Add Salt, pepper and cilantro.
- 8Allow chili to cook down for at least 30 minutes. The longer it cooks, the better the flavors meld and the better it tastes, so this is a great meal to prepare early and leave on the stove. Tastes even better the next day too, if you manage to hold on to your leftovers!
- 9Serve in bowls topped with your favorite chili toppings with extra tortilla chips alongside for dipping.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chili Verde
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 1104.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 51.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: