Recipe by ellie3763
adopted from Bon Appetit by the blog "the parsley thief" - http://www.theparsleythief.com/2009/10/chicken-chili-verde.html
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded & chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded & chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 tomatillos, husked & coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour some flour into a shallow dish. Sprinkle half the chicken with salt & pepper. Coat with flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Tap any excess flour off the chicken pieces & add to the skillet. Saute for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining chicken. Transfer to a large, heavy pot.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Add the onions & garlic & saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Transfer to the pot with the chicken. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet & saute the peppers for 4 minutes; transfer to pot. Repeat with the corn, saute for 1 minute and transfer to the pot.
- Add the broth, tomatillos, oregano, chili powder, cumin, paprika & cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with tortilla chips & a dollop of sour cream.