Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a nicely seasoned soup - add more cayenne or jalapenos if you like hotter foods. Next time I make this, I am going to double the recipe, as the reducing stage removes alot of the "soupy" part that I like, but really causes the flavors to come out!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 potato, peeled & cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup diced pickled jalapeno or 1⁄4 cup fresh diced jalapeno
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash dried basil
- 1 dash dried oregano
- In a large soup pot, saute the chicken breasts in olive oil on both sides until done, about 7-10 minutes per side.
- Do not clean the pot.
- Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces and return it to the pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients& bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 hours, stirring often.
- Soup will reduce by about one-third.