Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
from taste of home
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas, halved
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, onions, 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend, garlic, 1/4 t. cumin and cilantro. Stir in chicken; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Top with 6 tortilla halves, a third of the chicken mixture and a 1/4 of the cheese sauce. Repeat chicken, tortilla and cheese sauce layers twice. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese sauce and Mexican cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
great recipe from taste of home. i use monterrey jack with jalapenos, and usually add a couple of chopped jalapenos for extra heat. thanks for posting courtley!
Very tasty!! Whenever I fix this dish, I like to serve recipe #251524, to go along with it.
This recipe is wonderful and makes great leftovers. The only change I made was shredding the chicken instead of cubing it...much easier to spread. This is a time-consuming recipe, but definitely worth it!