Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
this is adapted from a Barefoot Contessa recipe. use whatever beans you like. the tomatoes i like are Muir Glen fire roasted. any bell pepper color is fine, i just like the mix.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 large breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (plus a little of the sauce)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 56 ounces diced tomatoes (i like the fire roasted kind)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 15 ounces chili beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- cook chicken- boil or bake- cool and shred or chop.
- heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy pot and saute for 5 minutes.
- add garlic, peppers and spices, saute 5 more minutes.
- add tomatoes and stock, simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- add chicken and beans, simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, add liquid to your liking or simmer until thickened to your liking.
- i serve with bread or corn bread for dipping, sour cream, cheese and fritos are good too.
Made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious! I used leftover chicken from a roaster we had Friday. also substituted 28 oz chopped tomatoes, 14.5 oz fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis, 3 cups chicken stock and 1 Tbsp tomato paste in place of the diced tomatoes, sauce and 2c stock. I will make this again for sure
This is awesome chili! One of the best I have ever tried. Had to sub red and black beans but this was really good. I will make this again and again! Thanks so much!