1 hr 30 mins
This chili casserole can be made up to a month ahead and frozen until you are ready to serve. It is packed with black beans, corn and chicken. Recipe is from the cookbook, "You've Got it Made," by Diane Phillips.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups cooked chicken (chopped or shredded)
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 15 1/2 ounces can black beans, rinsed and drained (or try kidney beans)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups tortilla chips (6-8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups mild cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, finely shredded
- 1In large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- 3Saute for 3 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- 4Add the cornmeal, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- 5Slowly add the broth and tomato sauce, then bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Add the chicken, corn, beans, salt and pepper.
- 7Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 8Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- 9Lightly coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with enough tortilla chips to cover the bottom.
- 10Spoon the chili over the chips and sprinkle with cheeses.
- 11If making ahead, let the chili cool, then cover and refrigerate up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- 12The day before serving, move the chili to the refrigerator and let thaw overnight.
- 13When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 14Let the chili sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 15Bake the chili, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 16Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the chili is bubbling.
- 17Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chili Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 554.8
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 108.0 mg
- Sodium 1417.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 42.1 g