Recipe by Lainey6605
This is a recipe I got from Ladies Home Journal. The original recipe calls for chicken cutlets, but I used ground chicken to make it easier. If using ground chicken, just omit the first two steps in the directions.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs chicken cutlets or 1 3⁄4-2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup prepared chili sauce
- oil, for grill rack
- 8 slices part-skim sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 8 lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- If using chicken cutlets, rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Cut into 2-inch pieces and pulse in a food processor until coarsely ground; transfer to a bowl.
- If using ground chicken, break apart into bowl.
- Now the recipe is the same for both the chicken cutlets and ground chicken.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- With hands, mix in bell pepper, cilantro and chili sauce until just combined; do not overmix.
- Form into 8 one-half inch thick patties.
- Preheat grill.
- Lightly oil rack.
- Grill burgers on rack over moderate heat 5 minutes.
- Flip burgers and top each with 1 slice cheese; continue to grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, grill buns, cut sides down, until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Arrange burgers in buns with onion and lettuce.