Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe sent to my from my Mom in Ohio. My mom calls this chicken chili, but, it is broth based so I even make this during the hot Phoenix summers. I love this soup and I make a big batch on Sundays and send my fiancee off with leftovers for lunch all week.
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped (or grated)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1⁄4 cup taco sauce
- 48 ounces chicken broth (I prefer Pacific Free Range Chicken broth-Cheap at Costco)
- 1 diced green chilis
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Mix all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
I made this recipe for PAC Fall 2008, and my results were a much more soupier chili, because of the broth. The flavor was great, but because my family wanted a more heartier chili, and I didn't want it to go to waste, I doctored it up a bit and thickened it using masa harina; which added a great flavor. This really hit the spot, especially with the weather we've been having. We garnished it with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips. Thanks for sharing.