The unexpected blend of curry and Southwestern-style flavors in this dish yields a delightfully different taste. Note to weight watchers: Try using all fat-free, reduced-sodium versions of the listed ingredients to lower fat grams and caloric content. Adapted from an old Southern Living recipe clipping (circa 1980).
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups ready-to-serve fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (12 ounce) jar mild salsa (1 1/2 c.)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Combine rice and chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes or until the moisture is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and remaining ingredients.
- Stir in rice.
- Spoon into a 2 quart casserole dish coated with vegetable spray.
- Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or till bubbly.