Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
With obesity rates on the rise, there is no better time than now for families to build healthier habits. This includes getting more exercise and eating healthier. Nutritionists recommend eating more whole grains, lean proteins and increasing the amount of vegetables and fruit in their daily diets. While selecting the right foods is the first step, how they are prepared is equally as important. Cooking healthfully includes choosing the right ingredients as well as implementing techniques such as baking, grilling, broiling, roasting and stir frying. Get creative with mealtime by presenting healthy choices for the family. Get kids excited about eating lean proteins and more veggies by serving favorites such as grilled chicken in a different yet still nutritious way. Try this recipe for Chicken, Chili and Lime Lettuce Wraps that features grilled chicken, leafy greens and heart-healthy almonds. Kids will find it fun to eat with their hands and parents will love.
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless flattened slightly
3 tablespoons each
- honey and lime juice
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili, garlic sauce*
1 1/2 teaspoons each
- sesame oil and soy sauce
- 12 -16 small butter or 12 -16 small romaine lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion tops
- Preheat grill to 425°F Stir together honey, lime juice, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Remove 2 tablespoons and brush over chicken. Place chicken on hot grill and cook for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from grill and let cool slightly. Cut into bite-size pieces and stir into sauce; refrigerate for 10 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, spoon chicken into lettuce leaves and top with almonds, cilantro and green onions.