Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was a search for a chili that I could make with no red meat but still have the protein from a meat.
- 2 lbs chicken, chub (thawed)
- 1⁄3 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (shredded or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped fine)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups summer squash (zucchini or crookneck or patty pan or whatever)
- 15 ounces black beans, canned (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash cinnamon
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper (fresh minced) (optional)
- 1 large fresh tomato (chopped) (optional)
- In a heavy dutch oven or your favorite chili pot: Over medium heat, brown thawed Ground Chicken with onions and spices.
- Add chopped veggies and beans, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add tomato puree, Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool prior to service. Can be made 1-2 days ahead of time.
- Top with grated Pepper Jack, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack Cheeses. For a lighter alternative: chopped green onion and Sour Cream! Enjoy!
Delicious and fresh tasting chili. I chose this particular recipe because of the ingredients. I folllowed the recipe; using all organic ingredients. I did have to sub ground organic turkey for the chicken as there was no organic chicken in the store and I dont do non-organic meats. The recipe was very easy to follow and I really liked the different ingredients listed that you dont find in typical chili. The black beans were a nice change as was the squash.(i used both yellow and zucchini) It was fresh and flavorful without the overly salty taste most chilis seem to have. I will make this again; thank you for sharing.