Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
Wanted a healthy chicken soup with more flavor, This tasty chili is just right for weeknight get-togethers. This makes a quick fix meal with lots of flavor. Like your chili thick and chunky? Stir in 1/3 cup cornmeal when adding the beans, chiles and broth. This gives the chili a thicker consistency and a great texture
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are softened.
- Stir in cumin, salt, red pepper and chicken. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is lightly browned.
- Stir in beans, chiles and broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; cook 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with cilantro.